MB CHB, MSc, MD, MRCOphth, FRCOphth, FRCS (Ed)
Mohamed El-Ashry Consultant Ophthalmologist
Mr El-Ashry has been working in ophthalmology since 1993. He undertook his basic specialist training in the Midlands and subsequently completed his higher specialist training in Edinburgh. He was awarded the MD for research on genetics of ocular diseases. He had presented more than 34 paper/posters in various International and National conferences/meetings and published over 24 papers in peer reviewed journals.
He has completed advanced fellowships in surgical retina in Edinburgh and Sheffield and subsequently surgical and medical retina fellowship in Hull. He worked as locum vitreoretinal consultant in Great Western Hospital before undertaking his permanent position in the Trust in 2015.
- Cataract surgery
- Routine, complex and high-risk cataract surgery as well as dealing with complicated cataract surgery.
- Vitreoretinal surgery:
- Retinal detachment, macular hole, diabetic retinopathy, vitreomacular traction and epiretinal membranes.
- Ocular trauma
- Penetrating ocular injuries.
- Medical retina disorders such as macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and retinal vein occlusion including Anti-VEGF treatments
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the British Medical Association
- Member of the British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
Current NHS post
Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal surgeon at the Great Western Hospital, Swindon
Mr El-Ashry has been playing squash for many years and recently joined Oasis, Swindon and Birmingham University squash leagues
Private contact details
Private secretary Linda George: Mob: 07540200580 Telephone office: 01793740525
Sarah Hunt: Medical private secretary Office: 01793646059